07 February 2010

40 minute naps

Henry only ever naps for 40 minutes at a time.  Whether he is in his hammock, bassinet, crib, or being worn in a wrap, at exactly 40 minutes into the nap, his eyes are open, he is alert and there is nothing that gets him back to sleep.  It is super super annoying, and I have tried EVERYTHING to get him to sleep for longer.  I have the book, "The No Cry Nap Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley, which is very good, but the techniques for cat-nappers do not seem to be working for him!  I would just go with the flow and not worry about this, but less than a hour later, he is cranky and fussy and tired again.  I just know that he would be happier if he had a 2 or 3 decent 2 hour naps each day.

In addition to Henry's catnaps, he also has a couple of other bad sleep habits that I would like to end soon!  Firstly, he does not fall asleep without sucking.  Usually it's his pacifier.  I need to somehow get rid of that thing.  Secondly,  he doesn't fall asleep without being swaddled.  The problem with this is that he usually breaks free and then the blanket is covering his face (and he wakes up!).  And finally, he doesn't get to sleep without motion (me rocking him and then placing him in his hammock or wearing him in a wrap and bouncing on the bouncy ball). 

The No Cry Nap Solution covers all of these things, but I think that we need to extend his catnaps before I start phasing out his "bad" habits.  The only thing that really needs to go ASAP is swaddling for bed time (oddly, he goes down relatively easily for bedtime... if he is swaddled, sucking, and being rocked).   So, operation de-swaddle will begin this week!  

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails