13 August 2010

Breastfeeding past age 1

It's pretty much common knowledge that babies should be breastfed for the first 12 months of life.  Sure, it doesn't work out for everyone for various reasons, but I think that we are all in agreement that breastfeeding is the optimal form of nutrition for the first year (see here for reasons why).  But what happens at a year?  Does breastmilk suddenly become devoid of nutrition for my child?  Is it suddenly inappropriate to breastfeed my toddler when he turns one?

Here are a few facts about extended breastfeeding from kellymom.com: (check out that link for more info)
  • Breastfeeding continues to be a valuable source of nutrition and disease protection for as long as breastfeeding continues
  • Breast milk continues to provide substantial amounts of key nutrients well beyond the first year of life, especially protein, fat, and most vitamins
  • The American Academy of Family Physicians notes that children weaned before two years of age are at increased risk of illness
  • One of the best ways to prevent allergies and asthma is to breastfeed exclusively for at least 6 months and continue breastfeeding long-term after that point (the longer the better)
  • Extensive research on the relationship between cognitive achievement (IQ scores, grades in school) and breastfeeding has shown the greatest gains for those children breastfed the longest
  • Contrary to popular belief, breastfeeding past 12 months of age does not make kids overly dependent.  Nursing creates a strong bond and provides emotional support that encourages independence and self-confidence
Ideally, I'd like to wean Henry when I'm pregnant again, but what if I get pregnant sooner rather than later?  I don't think I want to do tandem breastfeeding, but then again I want Henry to be able to reap the benefits of extended breastfeeding.  We shall see!

Oh, and don't get me wrong, any amount of breastfeeding is great and for any one who makes it to a year, even better!  I am simply pointing out that it's completely normal and even beneficial to continue breastfeeding beyond a year.  

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails