20 June 2010

I've had to resort to the Baby Whisperer

The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems: Sleeping, Feeding, and Behavior--Beyond the Basics from Infancy Through ToddlerhoodYes, that's right, I bought The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems: Sleeping, Feeding, and Behavior--Beyond the Basics from Infancy Through Toddlerhood.  I have heard some negative things about this book, especially in regards to her outdated breastfeeding information, but I am seriously desperate for some help with Henry's night-time sleep.  I would love to continue co-sleeping, but it's getting to the point where he can no longer sleep without me there.  I take both his naps with him and he wakes earlier and earlier each night and won't let me leave.  I am not willing to do "cry-it-out," and The No-Cry Sleep Solution has not been working for us.  Perhaps it is just a bit too gentle for the results that I'm looking for.  The Baby Whisperer is a happy medium (involves some crying, but never alone).

So, the goal is for Henry to take both of his naps alone and to reduce his multiple night wakings down to 1 or 2.  I am doing this by employing the Baby Whisperer's "pick up, put down" method, which is basically, pick baby up when he cries, put him back down the second he stops crying and lay your hand on him until he's asleep.  Only pick him when he seems really distressed.  Last night we started this at his first night waking and it was extremely hard!  It took literally hours until he finally fell back asleep. Today, we are on his second nap and I already see improvement from his first (I'm out here writing this blog post and not in there sleeping with him!).  Hopefully tonight is easier than last night. 

The Baby Whisperer suggests getting baby on the E.A.S.Y. routine (eat, activity, sleep, you time).  She discourages rigid schedules, rather to watch your baby's cues instead.  I totally agree with this.  I have, however had to modify her suggested routine a bit since I nurse Henry to sleep (that's the only way he will take a good, long feed, plus it relaxes him and it's a wonderful tool for getting him to sleep).  So, for us it's more of the F.A.N.S.Y. routine (food, activity, nurse, sleep, you time).  Henry's natural schedule is very similar to what she suggests in the book, so her ideas seem to fit really well with what we already do.

Anyway, I hope we have some success this week!  
 

1 comment:

Alanah. said...

I have used the suggestions in this book as well as some others to deal with some of Otto's sleep issues and have had good success. I hope tonight is a bit easier on you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails