22 June 2010

It's working!

Henry now starts out the night in his crib.  I'm surprised at how easily the transition to the crib has been!  He has taken most of naps over the past several days in his crib now too, which is a HUGE success!  Some naps have been easier than others to achieve this. 

 Night-time is going well, but I keep sabotaging my efforts by bringing him in bed with me around midnight.  I am always just too exhausted to keep doing the crib thing all night long.  But, it's definitely a step in the right direction that he is even in his crib until midnight!  Although, he is unfortunately still not sleeping until midnight.  He still wakes up about 3 hours after going to bed.  At this point, I am convinced that he is waking up out of habit and not hunger.  The Baby Whisperer says to go in there an hour before he wakes and rub his back a bit and sort of jostle him.  I can't see how that would possibly work, but it's worth a try!

 Oh yeah, and the crazy thing is that Henry actually seems happier during the day now.  Maybe it was a coincidence and just part of development.  Or, perhaps I was smothering him by spending every waking (and sleeping!) moment of my life with him and thus, inadvertently robbing him of the opportunity to master his emotions.  Maybe what he needed was a good cry as an emotional release.  Several books that I have read (such as The Aware Baby and Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves) talk about how babies and children need a good cry in arms (never alone!) to let out their frustrations.  It seems to have worked for us!  I'm so glad that I didn't do "cry-it-out," and here is a great blog post that confirms why.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails