03 June 2010

"Dirty Dozen" fruits and veggies


I try my best to offer only organic food to Henry.  I don't believe that organic food is any healthier, but I just don't want him to be exposed to all the different pesticide residues that are on fruits and veggies.  One strawberry can have 67 different pesticide residues on it!  Yuck! 

In an effort to raise awareness about pesticide use, the the Environmental Working Group in the US reviewed 100,000 produce pesticide reports from the USDA and the FDA and put together a list of the “dirty dozen” fruits and vegetables, or those that contain the highest amount of pesticide residues even after being washed with a high-pressure washing system.

Organic food is expensive and around here, it's not that easy to get (Australia really needs a Whole Foods!).  The good news is that you can reduce your exposure to pesticides by up to 80% by buying the organic version of the "Dirty Dozen." 


Here’s the list:

  • * Celery
  • * Peaches
  • * Strawberries
  • * Apples
  • * Blueberries
  • * Nectarines
  • * Sweet bell peppers (capsicum)
  • * Spinach, kale and collard greens
  • * Cherries
  • * Potatoes
  • * Grapes
  • * Lettuce
The EWG has also designated the “Clean 15,” or 15 fruits and vegetables that are relatively clean of pesticide residues.  They are:
  • * Onions
  • * Avocados
  • * Sweet corn
  • * Pineapples
  • * Mango
  • * Sweet peas
  • * Asparagus
  • * Kiwi fruit
  • * Cabbage
  • * Eggplant
  • * Cantaloupe
  • * Watermelon
  • * Grapefruit
  • * Sweet potatoes
  • * Sweet onions

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Blueberries? Sweet, innocent blueberries? I am heart-broken! I am amazed tomatoes are not on the list. Thanks for the information! Lists are always such a tidy way to present information! I love them:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails