16 May 2010

How we're going with the night weaning

Night 1: Nursed to sleep.  Didn't feed him at his first night waking and he cried for an hour (while I was laying next to him, patting his back and stroking him, etc.) before falling into a deep sleep.  Up VERY often (every 1-2 hours) during the night.  I caved and nursed him at 1:30 am and as usual until waking at 6:30 am for the day.

Night 2: Nursed to sleep.  Woke up every 2-2.5 hours.  I gave the boob each time he woke, but took him off as soon as he stopped drinking.  He would fuss each time and search for the boob, but surprisingly fell asleep relatively easily with me patting him and stroking him.  Sometime in the early morning hours he started getting super fussy/crying and wouldn't fall back asleep so I nursed him as usual for the rest of the night. 

Night 3: Very similar to night 2, except I did not offer the boob again until about 3 am (laid next to him, patted him, etc. until he fell back asleep).  Major success!  Sometime in the early morning hours he started crying.  I tried nursing him and took him off when he was done drinking, but after what seemed like a very long time of fussing and crying (unsure how long because I was like 75% asleep), I ended up letting him comfort nurse for the rest of the night. 

In summary: Basically, the only success we have had so far is that for at least part of the night, I am able to just pat/stroke/hug Henry and he will fall back asleep quite easily (no boob!).  Unfortunately, he is still waking up really quite often.   For these next few nights, I am going to try to avoid offering the boob until about 3 am.  I am really REALLY hoping that he starts going longer between night wakings soon!   

1 comment:

Cindy @ This Adventure, Our Life said...

This sleeping thing is like no fun!! I hear you. My little one is doing okay, but the time she wakes in the morning is soo varied! Good Luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails