19 May 2010

Baby names

Mark and I often talk about baby names for the next child (no, I am not pregnant, but it's still fun to talk about!).  There are a lot of things to consider when choosing a name.  I like something that is not too trendy and not too common (I don't want him or her to be one of 6 with the same name in his class), but not too unique either.  I am also looking for something that is easy to spell and pronounce and will sound good on an adult as well as a child.  Note: These are MY personal preferences.  Not everyone has the same naming philosophy, and that's ok! 

Some names that I have found to be especially popular at the moment and I hear all the time are Thomas, Harrison, Mason, Ethan, Aiden for boys and Ava, Lily, Ruby, Sophia, Isabella for girls.  Everywhere I go there is at least one child with each of these names.  This is not necessarily a bad thing, I just don't want my kids to have to use their last name initial all the time (e.g. Henry A. and Henry C.)  

Since we have a dual-citizen child, I have to consider the rankings of names in both Australia and the US.  Here are the current rankings for both countries: 

Top baby names for 2009 in Australia:
Boys
1. Jack
2. Lachlan
3. Cooper
4. William
5. Joshua
6. Thomas
7. Oliver
8. Riley
9. Noah
10. Max
11. James
12. Ethan
13. Aiden
14. Liam
15. Jackson


Girls
1. Isabella
2. Olivia
3. Lily
4. Chloe
5. Emily
6. Charlotte
7. Ella
8. Ava
9. Amelia
10. Sophie
11. Sienna
12. Mia
13. Grace
14. Ruby
15. Zoe




  • Isabella











  • Olivia











  • Lily











  • Chloe











  • Emily











  • Charlotte











  • Ella











  • Ava











  • Amelia











  • Sophie











  • Sienna











  • Mia











  • Grace











  • Ruby











  • Zoe








  • Top baby names for 2009 in the US:
    Boys
    1. Jacob
    2. Ethan
    3. Michael
    4. Alexander
    5. William
    6. Joshua
    7. Daniel
    8. Jayden
    9. Noah
    10. Anthony
    11. Christopher
    12. Aiden
    13. Matthew
    14. David
    15. Andrew


    Girls
    1. Isabella
    2. Emma
    3. Olivia
    4. Sophia
    5. Ava
    6. Emily
    7. Madison
    8. Abigail
    9. Chloe
    10. Mia
    11. Elizabeth
    12. Addison
    13. Alexis
    14. Ella
    15. Samantha

    No comments:

    Related Posts with Thumbnails