10 January 2011

Getting ready for baby #2

Wow, this pregnancy has gone by so fast.  I am already 19 weeks pregnant and tomorrow is the big ultrasound!  I can't wait to find out the baby's sex (and of course make sure that everything is ok).  So far I have done very little preparation for this baby, except for buying a few gender neutral footed sleepers (you know, the long-sleeved sleep suits with feet).  I recently did an inventory of what we have an what we need and thought I would share it with you. 

What I already have:
  • Amby Baby hammock- This is where the baby will sleep at night for the first 3-6 months, depending on temperament.  I have an irrational fear about flat head, so I would prefer if the baby didn't sleep in a bassinet or other hard surface.  I'm sure the baby will end up in our bed at some point during the night every night, but this is where baby will start out the night.
  • Cloth Diapers- We already have a pretty good newborn stash of Green Mountain Prefolds and an assortment of fitteds, but I will likely be adding a few more fitteds for this baby.  
  • Baby Bath Tub
  • Baby Carriers- I have a whole assortment of baby carriers, but will most likely use my Vatanai wrap for the newborn.  Maybe the Beco when we go grocery shopping.  
    •  With 2 kids under 2, it might be inevitable that we will have to buy a double stroller at some point, but I would like to try to go as long as I can without one.  They are bulky, and cumbersome.  In the beginning I can wear the newborn while Henry is in the stroller.  I never needed a stroller for Henry until he was about 6 months old when I switched him from baby carrier to stroller for my daily walks around the neighbourhood.  Even now I rarely use the stroller unless we are at the zoo or mall, and let's be honest, those trips are rare.  
  • Onesies- I already have tons of short-sleeved onesies because Henry was a summer baby.  This baby will wear them under his or her footed sleepers for extra warmth.   
  • Carseat- We recently went out and got another convertible carseat.  No infant seat for us, I see no need for it.  

 What I need:
  • Baby Book- From Etsy
  • Swaddling blankets- 2 or 3 large blankets for swaddling.  I liked the Aden + Anais blankets for Henry, but this baby will be born in winter and need something warmer.  
  • 1 heavier bassinet blanket- Again, winter baby will need an extra blanket for warmth.  A nice wool one, perhaps.
  • 1 more hooded baby towel and more wash cloths
  • A few more newborn fitted cloth diapers- I really hated the Kissaluvs, so I might sell those and get some more Thirsties fitteds or another brand.
  • Clothes! Henry wore newborn sized clothes for the first month, so I will need some more footed sleepers and sleeping gowns (sleeping gowns are great for middle of the night diaper changes) in this size, plus lots of size 0-3 clothing.  Newborns live in pajamas, so lots of sleeping gowns and footed sleepers (with a zipper, not snaps... too annoying) will be necessary.  As it will be winter, I will also need a few beanies/hats.   
  • Eco Sheepskin- I'd like to have a little area of the playroom where the baby can lay and watch Henry playing, practice tummy time, and perhaps even fall asleep if it's an easy-going baby.  I am going to get this one, because conventional sheepskins usually have toxic chemicals in them.  
 DISCLAIMER: These lists are based on what worked when I had Henry.  All babies are different, so please don't flame me because you had a different experience with your baby!  

And that's about it for now!  Check back tomorrow for an update on the ultrasound.

Oh, and here's a pic of Henry:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails