I'm half way through the pregnancy, Henry is nearly 15 months old, and I'm still breastfeeding. Thoughts of weaning go through my mind every single time he nurses. I thought I might share with you my experience with nursing during pregnancy thus far.
I'm pretty sure in the beginning of this pregnancy I had a dip in supply, but I'm not sure if that is still case. He's definitely getting something. If he wasn't, I think it would be really painful. I do have some nipple soreness while he nurses, but it's not too bad and it's mostly when he is initially latching on. I've had to find new positions when he nurses because my growing belly is in the way. He always nurses in the morning when he wakes up, before his two naps, and before he goes into his crib for bedtime. If we are just chilling out at home all day, he will usually nurse a few other times as well, but just for a few minutes at a time. Overall, nursing during pregnancy has been fine, although it would be nice if he would just wean.
At this point, the nursing is just for comfort or perhaps habit (of course he is still getting all of the wonderful immunological and nutritional benefits, but he doesn't know that :)). He drinks organic cow's milk out of a cup just fine and he eats like a horse all throughout the day. It's really just something he does to relax and settle down before sleep times (although, he never falls asleep at the breast any more). And in case you are wondering, just rocking him in the chair or giving him warm milk whilst rocking him in the chair do not work. He gets all squirmy and upset and tries to get away.
I've thought a lot about tandem nursing and whether or not that is something I am willing to do. Ideally, I would like Henry to just wean himself and hopefully sometime soon (which is looking like it will be extreme unlikely!). At this point, I think weaning will be a lot harder than just tandem nursing for a while. When I'm in my third trimester I will definitely re-visit weaning him, but for now, it's working for us, so I'm going with it!
No comments:
Post a Comment