26 September 2010

On living in Australia

I've been here for nearly 3 and half years and while I no longer feel completely American, I don't feel Australian either.  This is most definitely my home, but I am most definitely not from here.  I guess I'm in some sort of weird in between stage of life as an expat.

I miss my family.  I miss my parents.  I wish they were here to see Henry grow up, but instead they have to see us through photos, facebook, and skype.  I miss all of the wonderful cheap shopping in the US.  Clothes, food, baby gear, houses, electronics... literally everything is quite significantly more expensive in Australia.  I miss so many things about the US, but it's not helpful to keep comparing the two.

But this is where I live now and there are definitely things I love about Australia.  It's best to focus on the positives, otherwise I will go crazy!  I love the organic farmers' market they have here.  It is my favourite part of the week!  I think the health care system is pretty darn good (I had a great OB and hospital experience when I had Henry!).  I love that breastfeeding is much more common and mainstream here.  More things I love:
  • Australians seem less materialistic 
  • No tipping! 
  • Good weather and flip flops all year round
  • 4 weeks vacation is standard at most jobs
  • Cool accents (I can't wait for Henry to have one!)
  • Swimming-- as a former competitive swimmer myself, I love that knowing how to swim is compulsory here
  • Flora and fauna-- the sounds of kookaburras, the palm trees, koalas, kangaroos, and more! 
  • My husband!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails