I truly believe that for the first 3 months of a baby's life, you can't do anything to create bad habits and you definitely can't spoil them. They are so helpless and I am an adamant believer in the "4th trimester." A ton of research shows that newborns cannot self soothe and they depend on their caregivers for everything (including soothing!).
As such, when Henry was a newborn, I wore him all the time. I wore him while he slept, while I did housework, while I went to the grocery store, while I went for walks around the block, literally everywhere! It made life so much easier on the both of us. Happy baby, sleeping baby, avoid flat head, bonding, etc.
But as he started to get older he required more and more play time on the floor. Now that Henry is crawling, I almost never wear him at all. I thinks it's much better for him to explore and have independent play. When we go grocery shopping, he can sit in the shopping cart. He likes to play on the floor while I do laundry, cook, and clean (oh my god, I just realized how housewifey that sounds!). I rarely ever go for walks any more because Henry simply doesn't like to just passively sit in his stroller (unless he's sleeping, but I'm too lazy to go while he's napping). Everywhere I go there is somewhere for him to play and if there's not (like if we go to the mall), I wear him in my Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Sling, but in reality we rarely ever go to the mall!
So, I guess the heavy babywearing stage for us is nearing an end. Of course, I will still wear him during times when others would normally use a stroller, but in reality, that is not very often.
3 comments:
At least you enjoyed it while you could. :) They grow up so fast! I plan to babywear as well and am looking forward to it.
Hi there, Just a quick note to say how much I have enjoyed stumbling upon your blog via the bump. I noticed my son and yours have the same birthday :) They grow up so quickly!
Yes, they certainly do grow up way too fast! Paige, I'm glad you enjoyed my blog!
Post a Comment