21 July 2010

Choosing a pre-school

In Australia (QLD), kids can go to pre-school for one or two years and then school begins with Prep beginning at age 5 (Americans call this Kindergarten).  According to the rules, Henry is eligible to start pre-school in January 2014 at age 4 (the school year in Australia begins in January, not September).

I would really like for Henry to go to a Montessori pre-school and there are only two that are relatively close by, so yesterday was our tour at the first one.  It was very cute and leafy and beautiful.  I will definitely be putting his name down on the waiting list.  I can't wait to see the other one! 

Here is a very interesting and worthwhile article from the Boston Globe:  Pressure-cooker kindergarten.  This is basically why I am weary of sending Henry to a conventional pre-school and Prep.  Too much pressure on such a young kid.  I hate things like sticker charts, grades, plastic toys, and time-outs for little kids.  This is why I prefer a Montessori school for Henry; because it aims to foster an intrinsic love for learning rather than just mastery of curricula objectives through rote learning and structured play.   

Another reason why I am so keen to send Henry to a Montessori pre-prep and prep is because of the emphasis on play (especially independent play without the interference of adults) and use of Montessori materials.  Here is a great article explaining why play is so important: Old-fashioned play builds serious skills

Anyway, choosing the right pre-school is hard.  It is an established fact that the first five years of life are the most important ones.  It is the time when personality and intelligence level are determined.  Early academic pressure can be detrimental to a child, especially to boys who already tend to be behind girls in things like language skills.  Also, I am not interested in home-schooling because I think it's important for Henry to socialize (and to give me a break!). 

1 comment:

Jane said...

You have done some seriously good research- thanks for sharing! When I'm not so tired I will be reading more.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails