Henry's sleep, that is. For the last few nights he has slept 8 hours straight from around 6 or 7 pm until around 2 am. I go in and breastfeed him and then he goes back to sleep until 5:30 am, at which point I bring him into our bed so that he can have another 30 or 40 minutes of sleep next to mummy and daddy before getting up for the day.
He used to wake at 10 pm, but several nights ago I decided to let him cry for 5 minutes before going in and guess what, he fell back asleep on his own! After only 5 minutes! I tried this a couple of months ago and it didn't work (well, I didn't have the heart to continue). I'm glad I didn't persist because he obviously wasn't ready back then. Naps are getting easier as well. All it takes is literally less then 5 minutes for him to have a little fuss/cry and he can put himself to sleep.
I have to say though, this whole process of transitioning him to his crib and self-soothing has been a long one. It has taken about 3 months for us to get to this point. It has involved crying, but very little crying alone. First I cut down on the night-nursing while we were still bed-sharing (which meant he has to cry next to me), then I moved him to his crib, which involved crying while I stood there patting him, and finally, I had to let go and let him figure out the rest on his own, which was surprisingly easy. Hopefully over the next few months he will start sleeping all the way through the night!
He used to wake at 10 pm, but several nights ago I decided to let him cry for 5 minutes before going in and guess what, he fell back asleep on his own! After only 5 minutes! I tried this a couple of months ago and it didn't work (well, I didn't have the heart to continue). I'm glad I didn't persist because he obviously wasn't ready back then. Naps are getting easier as well. All it takes is literally less then 5 minutes for him to have a little fuss/cry and he can put himself to sleep.
I have to say though, this whole process of transitioning him to his crib and self-soothing has been a long one. It has taken about 3 months for us to get to this point. It has involved crying, but very little crying alone. First I cut down on the night-nursing while we were still bed-sharing (which meant he has to cry next to me), then I moved him to his crib, which involved crying while I stood there patting him, and finally, I had to let go and let him figure out the rest on his own, which was surprisingly easy. Hopefully over the next few months he will start sleeping all the way through the night!
No comments:
Post a Comment