03 March 2010

progression of how Henry naps

Newborn: Usually falls asleep in my arms while I'm nursing him or next to me on the bed while I'm nursing him.  Constantly nursing him.

1-2 Months: Impossible to get Henry to nap anywhere but on me in a wrap.  Fine with me! We avoid flathead and I can get things done while he sleeps.

2-3ish Months:  Still napping in the wrap, which is fine, except I never get to have a nap! Also, his naps are super short. 

Current: Still takes some naps in the wrap, but amazingly I am able to lay him down awake (swaddled & with a pacifier) and he falls asleep in 5 minutes.  No rocking, no bouncing, and no boob! I have to lay next time until he closes his eyes and then I can tiptoe out (he naps on the spare bed).  His naps get longer and longer each time (up to 3 hours!).  I get to have a nap too sometimes!

Future nap goal: Lay Henry down awake, no swaddle, no pacifier, and he can fall asleep on his own and stay asleep. It is hard to believe that this will ever happen, but I've never seen a 5-year-old swaddled, so it must be possible!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails